Embodying the Love of Music and Community
Kolot HaLev — Voices of the Heart — is the only independent community choir in the Greater Washington DC area focusing on Jewish choral music that does not require singers to audition. We are the choir-in-residence at Shirat HaNefesh (Song of the Soul) Congregation, and draw our members from throughout the Washington-Baltimore metropolitan area, regardless of congregational or religious affiliation.
- Thinking about joining Kolot HaLev?
- When you come to rehearsal with us you’ll find that . . .
- When you make the commitment to sing with Kolot HaLev. . .
There is no audition—just your love of learning and singing Jewish choral music
We come from all over the DC area, from a variety of congregations, and from many traditions and perspectives.
Audiences have been pleasantly surprised that a community choir, without auditions, sings sophisticated and varied music at such a high level It’s never boring: Ramon continually brings us precious treasures of old and new Jewish choral music, and interprets the composers’ intentions of musicality, spirituality, and emotions.
Kolot HaLev has performed in various venues, including the North American Jewish Choral Festival, the Jewish Heritage Museum in New York City, Arlington National Cemetery, and elsewhere in the DC area.
We learn to sing: Ramón teaches us to increase our range, enhance our voices, listen to each other, and feel the meaning of each piece of music
- We might be tired after a trying work day, but quickly become magically energized from serious learning sprinkled with fun and humor in the process
- Every week we take away some new technique, new level of accomplishment, or the joy of hearing some new beautiful, engaging music
You’ll join us in discovering old and new Jewish choral music from many traditions, countries, and eras including Hebrew, Yiddish, opera, American folk, Ladino, Turkish, Syrian, and others.
You’ll join us in discovering old and new Jewish choral music from many traditions, countries, and eras including Hebrew, Yiddish, opera, American folk, Ladino, Turkish, Syrian, and others - You’ll enjoy singing with us music that has been lost until Ramón unearthed it and arranged it for our group - You’ll sing many types of Jewish music, from jazz to classical; from the 14th Century up to the most contemporary; Ashkenazi and Sephardic; and ethnic music from all over the world.
Kolot HaLev is about...
- We come together every Thursday evening to learn and sing together as one voice
- A community that is supportive and joyful
- Feeling a part of a beautiful concert experience
- Seeing the happiness on the faces of the audience, the excitement in the air, and the explosion of applause and bravo’s!
- Building bridges between individuals of different backgrounds
Our mission is to recover the treasures of Jewish music that have disappeared from our communities and bring them back for everyone to hear and enjoy, as well as to acquaint audiences with newly composed inspiring Jewish choral music. Through our music, we aspire to build bridges between denominations through the experience and spirituality of this profoundly moving choral music.
A Selection of Kolot HaLev Videos
|Carol Juran||Steven Hausman|
|Francesca German||Frances Levin|
|Karen Lantner||Penina Motro|